Saturday, June 16, 2012

Bye Bye Couch to 5K

Just to get this out there right away, I'm NOT giving up running! LOL! I don't plan to anytime soon :-)

I've come to discover that the Couch to 5K (C25K) program just isn't for me. This week was super tough and I refused to give up so I did more research on other plans/programs out there. I'm also a part of a running group that meets every Saturday and has all different skill levels of participants that range from walkers all the way up to marathon runners.

Yesterday I asked the group for some help and a member suggested this 10K Program to me. You're thinking, "is she nuts, going from a 5K to a 10K training program?!" I thought it was a little crazy as well, but I didn't want to knock it before I tried it. So, today when I went on the group run for the first time, one of the running group gals, Diane, helped me through it and most of the ladies in the group (if not all) love this method or some version of it. Basically, that all around thing that most love is the short jogs paired with short walks. Here's the program so you can take a peek for yourself...

10K Training Program

Today, Diane and I did a slight variation. Since I felt 1 minute jogs weren't pushing me enough, we did 1.5 minute jogs with 1 minutes rests instead! We did this for 3 miles! I had to walk the last half mile because my left groin muscle started to act up and I didn't want to create a bigger problem by pushing through the pain of it. Either way, that's the most jogging I've ever done at one time. Not once did it feel tough or make me want to stop, like the C25K program did.

On a random note, I weighed myself this morning (I know, I cheated since weigh in isn't until Monday) and I was another 2lbs down!!! I know I can't take that to the bank until my weigh in Monday, but still amazing to see! :-)

Much Love!